Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Birthday to...

ME!!



Not a huge milestone year in numbers but probably one of the biggest yet. I never thought that at the age of 27 I would be married with 2 children. Scott and I always talked about being done having babies by the time we are 30...but I never thought that would really happen. The average age of first time moms now is 28...so really by national averages I shouldn't even have one child yet, let alone TWO!! But, I would not have it any other way! I HATE surprises, but I think that Ella and Cole, being HUGE surprises, have taught me that there may be a bigger plan somewhere-out-there...(no, I won't break into song!). In my mind, at 27, I would be married, working on or graduating from my masters program obtaining my NP (nurse practitioner), living the life of a "newly-wed couple"...spending time with my friends and husband, traveling, and focusing some time on myself and my new marriage. WOW...how life changes. I think that in reading this it would sound like I am falling short on my dreams, but if you are a mother you would understand. Each day at work I am granted access to many families worst nightmare; cancer diagnosis in their babies, traumatic-life-threatening injuries and illnesses, families spending countless hours at their child's bedside just praying for a flicker of evidence that their once vibrant child is still in there...somewhere. This work gives me a unique perspective, that I believe, is taken for granted. I am unbelievably lucky. I have not one, but two wonderful, beautiful, vibrant, healthy, smart, amazing children. I am more fulfilled inside, in my soul, than I could ever hope for and that is thanks not only to my
children, but also my amazing husband, who happens to be my best-friend, my family and also some of the most amazing women I am lucky enough to call my friends. I may not be a world traveler, nurse practitioner or know the way around the hippest bars and trendiest shops...but I am a mom, wife, nurse; and I gotta tell ya...that's pretty sweet!


For my birthday I asked for a new camera...ask and you shall receive!! Here are some shots from Sunday at the zoo!


I was messing around with photoshop too...some of the finishes I am not a fan of...there is quite a learning curve with that that program!

3 comments:

The Ranek Family said...

Happy Birthday Abby!!! So glad we got to hang out (sorry I forgot!). Enjoy your new camera... Hope you can join the class eith me=)

The Maines Family Blog said...

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday, Abby!!! Life is grand at 27 and as you keep counting! You are a great wife, mom and nurse and friend too! I am soooo glad we share fun times with our kids and sometimes as just girlfriends too!!!
Enjoy your new camera!

The Gray Family said...

Thanks for the tears! Happy Birthday!!